stein

stein

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Extremely delayed post

Man, time flew and I didn't realize I never posted about the Red Kolsch.  Honestly there wasn't much to tell as it's exactly like the Kolsch with some of the malts we saw in the Irish Red.  That being said, we found the Wheat beer was ready way ahead of schedule.

The Wheat seemed to zoom through the fermentation and bottling process and just finish fermenting early.  Because it was fermented in warm temperatures that apparently gives it a banana note, whereas cold would give clove notes.  It's very refreshing and we called it our Scarecrow Wheat.

If we haven't mentioned before, we have been naming all of our beers.  I've convinced Kristi to eventually post about our naming and pictures of the labels.  So hopefully she'll post that soon.  Kristi has said she plans on posting her recipe for the Pecan beer we brewed tonight based on a beer she tried from a microbrew in Mississippi, though she had it while in Georgia.  Because this was Kristi's pick and she was really excited about it she wanted to be the one to post about it so I'll leave that up to her.  But I will note we had to get a large nylon mesh bag for holding all the grains.  Apparently if you use pure grains you then aren't using malt extract, but it's a lot more difficult to handle for brewing as we found.  I'll let Kristi fill you all in on that.

I'm working on a recipe for our next beer to brew that is going to be mine.  This was the beer I was talking about using local ingredients, and I think I'm going to try to make a California Lager as you apparently can brew it like an ale, it just needs to store for a long time (hence lager).



No comments:

Post a Comment